During the first decade of the 20th century (1902) work began on the construction of the new parish church dedicated to the Puríssima Xiqueta that celebrated the centenary of the laying of its foundation stone in 2002. Thanks to several private donations and the contributions of all the citizens of Benissa the new church was consecrated in 1929, and some years later replaced the San Pedro Apóstol as parish church.
The building is of neo-gothic style with three naves that stands our for its central dome of great beauty, a skylight over the centre of the transept, and the altar, with the shrine containing the painted tablet with the image the Puríssima Xiqueta that is believed to have be painted by the artist Juan de Juanes.
During the feast in honour of the Purísima Xiqueta, celebrated every year on the 4th Sunday of April, the shrine is lowered from its place on the altar with the help of an ingenious hydraulic system so that the image can be carried through the streets in the procession. This emotive ceremony is known "La Baixada de la Puríssima" (The lowering of the Virgin)
C/ Fray Humilde Soria, 3